The annual WinterFest, organized by the La Porte Park and Recreation Department, returns January 24-26, 2020, with many of the events enjoyed over the past years as well a couple new twists to bring a blast of winter fun to town.
Friday, January 24
- FREE (Donations accepted) 8-9 a.m. Civic Auditorium – Lower Level (use door at the end of the ramp on Plain Street) Move those winter blues away! Come and join certified instructor Becca Masters for an hour of stress relief! This class is FREE to all who attend. Donations will graciously be accepted to support the La Porte Park and Recreation Department’s Youth Scholarship Program.
Ice Sculpture Demonstrations at the Fire and Ice Fest
- FREE! 2-5 p.m. at the 618 Plaza in downtown La Porte. Ice, ice, baby! Come and view creative sculptors bring a block of ice to life during Downtown La Porte’s Fire and Ice Fest. The chiseling and picking will be held from 2-5 p.m. with viewing available until Mother Nature takes them away! Presented by Downtown La Porte and sponsored by American Licorice Company, La Porte Seamless Gutters and the City of La Porte
Family Game Night
- FREE! 6-7:30 p.m. Cummings Lodge in Soldiers Memorial Park. It’s been so busy as of late, all we do is run, it’s time for us to take a break, and have a little fun. Take your phones and tablets and put them out of sight, and get ready for a fun surprise, because tonight is Family Night! Bring your dinner and your favorite game. We will provide popcorn, punch and a warm fire in the fireplace inside cozy Cummings Lodge for a fun, free family night!
Saturday, January 25
- 9 a.m.-Noon Civic Auditorium – Lower Level (use door at the end of the ramp on Plain Street). Decorate a project in time for Valentine’s Day, Groundhog Day, Lincoln’s Birthday or any other holiday celebrated in late winter. This entertaining activity provides a great opportunity for a family outing.
Please call the Park office at 219-326-9600 to register with your credit card. Cash or check are the only forms of payment on the day of class.
“Snowball Softball” Adult Coed Tournament
- 9 a.m. Lions Field. Dashing through the snow, turning double plays! Get your team together for our version of the “hot stove” league. Double-elimination tournament; limited to the first eight teams to register. Preregistration required.
Breakfast with the Birds
- FREE! 9:30-11 a.m. Luhr County Park Nature Center. Come enjoy breakfast treats while watching birds grab a bite at the bird feeders. No pre-registration required. This program is open to all ages; however, children must be accompanied by an adult. Presented by La Porte County Parks.
Wheel Throwing Pottery Demonstration
- FREE! Noon-1 p.m. Civic Auditorium—Lower Level (use door at the end of the ramp on Plain Street). The art of wheel throwing is both a therapeutic and expressive way to create pottery. Join Alayna Bublitz, a local artist who teaches the La Porte Park and Recreation Department’s pottery classes, while she demonstrates her talent and answers questions from those in attendance. Individuals will have the opportunity to sit at a wheel and get their hands dirty! Maybe you will hear ‘Unchained Melody’ playing in the background!
Community Snow Angel Gathering
- FREE! 1 p.m. Behind Cummings Lodge in Soldiers Memorial Park. How many people can we join in one place to make snow angels simultaneously? Let’s find out! Tell your neighbors! Bring a friend! Come one, come all! Bring back your childhood memory of playing in the snow!
Sunday, January 26
Parties on the Gogh
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Cummings Lodge in Soldiers Memorial Park. Let’s spread some LOVE! Come and paint a fun piece of art during WinterFest! This class will come with all the supplies needed and step-by-step instructions from Kristi Chadderdon. Participants need to be 12 years of age and older. This event will fill up quickly so reserve your spot NOW! Register with cash or check at the Park Office, 250 Pine Lake Avenue, or contact Kristi at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
Cornhole Tournament 1 p.m.
- (Pool Play begins) Civic Auditorium Gymnasium. Join us for your favorite summer activity, only indoors during winter! Find a partner and register for the tournament, with prizes awarded to the top three pairs (must be age 21 or older to participate). Preregistration required with deadline on January 25. Concessions and cash bar available. Register at the Park Office (250 Pine Lake Avenue), American Legion Post 83 (228 E. Lincolnway) or on-line at https://winterfestcornhole2020.eventbrite.com. Presented by American Legion Post 83.
Horse Drawn Wagon Rides
- FREE! 1:30-3:30 p.m. Cummings Lodge. Jingle, jingle, jingle. Take a brisk ride through the beauty of wintry nature while enjoying the majesty of the equine. After a trot through Soldiers Memorial Park, warm up with a cup of hot chocolate by the fireplace.