It's amazing how fast time flies by. It just seemed like yesterday was the Popcorn Festival. I can't believe it's November! (As I write this, it's actually snowing outside as well.) I'll actually be 25 years old here in a month. How crazy is that!? I remember when I was a younger lad that I would imagine what life would be like when I would be in my twenties. It's a lot different that what you imagined, and I'm sure that it's the same for 99.9% of you all. As I reflect back on the last 25 years, I've learned a lot and I'm grateful for the people that came alongside of me to teach and encourage me. Here's the top 25 things that I've learned over the years.
25. Honey is good. Eat it. Just remember to eat it in respectable amounts.
24. Don't let your dad dress you. High waters and tucked in shirts just aren't cool anymore.
23. Make friends at school. Don't pick your nose.
22. Remember to take the trash out before your favorite TV show (at one point being Full House). Yes!
21. Don't try to hang upside-down on the monkey bars unless you're sure you can do it.
19. Don't worry about getting dirty when you play outside in the sandbox. It happens.
18. Be yourself. It stinks trying to be somebody else.
17. The way in which to inform a girl that you don't like her is not to run after her and punch her multiple times.
16. Don't let your Mom buy your first CD. (Hanson. For those of you who forgot, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE)
15. Keep the drawstring of your shorts at sports practice tied tight.
14. Be kind to everybody. Just because someone is mean to you doesn't mean you have to be mean to others.
13. Taking two gym classes in one semester is pretty fun. Especially when the second class is aerobics.
12. Don't fall asleep in math class or erasers may come flying.
11. Indianapolis Colts football games are the funnest (correction: most fun) sporting event to watch.
10. Be yourself. Don't try to imitate someone else.
9. Procrastination stinks. (Still haven't found a solution, but I know it's not good.)
8. When friends ask you if you want to on a road trip to California culminating in seeing Bob Barker on the Price is Right, say yes!
7. Dating in high school is stupid. Or at least don't believe that you're going to marry the person that you're dating.
6. Don't take family for granted. One day they may be there, and the next they may not.
5. Stick to your values; no matter how difficult it may be.
4. Listen to Ma and Pa. They really do know what they're talking about.
3. Be yourself. Hopefully I can get this one down before I die.
2. Don't hesitate to share the reason for your joy!
1. Live completely surrendered to Jesus Christ. Everything is better in His hands.
Well, I hope some of those helped you (maybe Hanson severly tramatized you....sorry!). Anyhow, you never stop learning as you get older, and I'm sure I can add to this list 100 times over as I begin to whither away. Chow!