The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission (NIRPC) will commence a 30-day public comment period on March 9, 2015, ending April 10, 2015 to gather comments on the update to NIRPC's 2040 Comprehensive Regional Plan (CRP), the 2016-2019 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) which includes both highway and transit projects, and a new Air Quality Conformity Analysis encompassing these documents.
Highlights of the proposed 2040 CRP update include the Willowcreek Road extension to US 30 in Porter County and a refined green infrastructure vision based on usefulness and importance. The update contains changes to all chapters from the original plan, including performance measures and other new projects across NIRPC's focus areas.
The draft FY 2016-2019 TIP includes projects proposed for funding under INDOT and the federal fund categories of Surface Transportation Projects (STP Group I and Group II for streets and highways), bridge inspection, safety projects, railroad crossings, Transportation Alternatives Program, Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ), and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) funds for Sections 5307, 5339 and 5337 for public transit.
The Air Quality Conformity Analysis establishes the compatibility between the Indiana Air Quality Implementation Plan and the proposed updated CRP and new TIP. All proposed projects are reviewed and found to be compatible or conforming, or are found to be exempt by nature of the type of project it is.
As part of this public comment period, seven public meetings will be held as follows:
• March 12: Valparaiso City Hall, 166 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, IN, 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• March 17: Merrillville Town Hall, 7820 Broadway, Merrillville, IN, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• March 19: Michigan City City Hall, 100 E Michigan Boulevard, Michigan City, IN, 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• March 21: John W. Anderson Library, Indiana University Northwest, 3400 Broadway, Gary, IN 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
• March 24: Munster Town Hall, 1005 Ridge Road, Munster, IN, 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• March 26: Porter Regional Hospital Community Room, 85 East US 6 Frontage Road, Valparaiso, IN, 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
• March 31: East Chicago Public Library Main Branch, 2401 E Columbus Drive, East Chicago, IN, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The public is invited to attend any and all of these public meetings. Comments may also be submitted to email@example.com, or by calling NIRPC at 219-763-6060, ext. 160, or by mailing to NIRPC at 6100 Southport Road, Portage, IN 46368. Individuals with hearing impairments may contact us through the Indiana Relay 711 service by calling 711 or (800) 743-3333. Additional information, including the full schedule of meetings and draft documents may be found at www.nirpc.org. These documents will also be available at local libraries throughout the region.
Requests for alternative formats may be directed to Mary Thorne, 219-763-6060, ext. 131, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with hearing impairments may contact us through the Indiana Relay 711 service by calling 711 or (800) 743-3333.