With the beginning of a new year comes a fresh start. New Year’s resolutions are often made to form good habits and reach new goals. This New Year’s, the American Red Cross encourages people to resolve to help patients in need through regular blood donations.
As the winter season continues, blood donations are especially needed. Donations typically decline this time of year, as many regular donors are impacted by inclement weather and seasonal illnesses.
There is no better resolution to make this New Year’s than to help save lives with the Red Cross. Give the gift of life and help give patients another year with their loved ones. Make an appointment to donate blood at redcrossblood.org or 1-800-RED CROSS.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Thursday, Jan. 2, from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at the Walmart, located at 5780 S. Franklin St. in Michigan City. Come to donate and get a 2-ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts coffee & a coupon for a FREE pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
- Thursday, Jan. 2, from 3:30 p.m. until 6 p.m. at the Northwest Athletic Club, located at 310 W. Kieffer Road in Michigan City. Come to donate and get a 2-ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts coffee & a coupon for a FREE pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
- Friday, Jan. 3, from noon until 4 p.m. at LaPorte Public Library in the Large Conference Room, located at 904 Indiana Ave. in LaPorte. Come to donate and get a 2-ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts coffee & a coupon for a FREE pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, from noon until 6 p.m. at St. John’s United Church of Christ in the Fellowship Hall, located at 101 St. John Road in Michigan City.
- Wednesday, Jan. 8, from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. at the Lincoln Township Community Building, located at 3098 South 800 East (Fish Lake) in Walkerton. This blood drive is sponsored by Mill Creek Lion’s Club.
- Thursday, Jan. 9, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Immanuel Lutheran Church in the Fellowship Hall, located at 1237 E. Coolspring Ave. in Michigan City.
- Friday, Jan. 10, from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Wanatah Public School in the gymnasium, located at 309 School Drive in Wanatah. This is a Pint Size Heroes and Future Blood Donor blood drive.
- Monday, Jan. 13, from noon until 6 p.m. at the First Church of God in the gymnasium, located at 2020 E. Lincolnway in LaPorte.
How to donate blood
Simply call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.