Lubeznik Center for the Arts (LCA) presents the opening reception for new exhibitions, Construction Sites, Body Language, and In Bloom on Friday, May 17 from 6 pm until 8 pm.
Construction Sites, in the Hyndman Gallery, is an exhibition of photographic tableaux guest curated by Thomas Allen. The artists participating in Construction Sites, including Rebecca Dudley, Martin & Muñoz, and Chris Helcoop, are much more than still-life photographers; they’re set designers, lighting engineers, and casting directors. Each photograph captures a set or scene created by the artist.
Body Language, in the Brincka/Cross & Robert Saxton Galleries, is the combined effort of artists, Lynn Duggan and Mitch Messina, to examine social and existential issues using the body as a metaphor. Duggan’s imagery examines the construction of gender in relation to power, focusing on the body as a site of political and social conflict. Messina’s sculptural work attempts to contextualize intrinsic relationships between human beings and tools as extensions of the human mind and body.
In Bloom features selected works from LCA’s permanent collection highlighting floral and aviary themes.
“We continue to bring outstanding exhibitions to the region that inspire and celebrate diverse and fascinating emerging and international artists. Our summer exhibitions will not disappoint!” said LCA’s curator CarolAnn Brown.
Featured artists and guest curator, Thomas Allen, will be at the event to mingle and discuss their work with attendees. Admission is free. Refreshments will be available for purchase. All times are in Central Daylight Time. For more information please contact Lubeznik Center for the Arts at 219-874-4900.
Upcoming Events at Lubeznik Center for the Arts
- May 17, 2013: Opening reception for Construction Sites, Body Language and In Bloom exhibitions
- June 7, 2013: First Fridays: Banana Slug String Band, environmentally conscious, family friendly performance art
- June 29, 2013: LCA Art Bash: A Nautical Night at B&E Marine
- July 5, 2013: First Fridays: Hot Dog Culture in America, presentation & book signing by Bruce Krieg and Patty Carroll
- August 2, 2013: First Fridays: Exhibition openings of Magical Realism, Documentation of Nature, and Water Wrackets
- August 17 & 18, 2013: 32nd Annual Lubeznik Center for the Arts’ Lakefront Art Festival
The Jack and Shirley Lubeznik Center for the Arts
The architecturally iconic Lubeznik Center for the Arts stands just steps away from Michigan City's lakefront. In addition to a full exhibition schedule in six galleries, LCA is home to an outdoor art collection; a Gallery Shop featuring hand crafted, artisan items; plus classes, performances and after-hours events. Open Weekdays 10 am to 5 pm, Thursdays 10 am – 7 pm and Weekends 11 am to 4 pm (Central Daylight Time). Please note the Hyndman Gallery is closed from 11 am – 1 pm on Thursdays. [Please note these are our summer hours of operation.]