You’ve heard the phrase a hundred times. “Laughter is the best medicine.” As it turns out, it may be truer than anyone ever believed! Have you ever notice how good you feel after a hardy laugh? There’s a reason for that!
Laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts your energy, diminishes pain and protects you from the damaging effects of stress. Here are just some of the many ways that laughter helps improve your health.
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress. This benefit can last up to 45 minutes. Imagine what a sustained bout of laughter can do for the body!
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter stimulates the production of immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, improving your ability to fight disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals, which can provide a temporary “high.” Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter increases blood flow and oxygenation of the blood and lower blood pressure, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
- Improve memory, creativity and learning. In a study at Johns Hopkins University Medical School, humor during instruction led to increased test scores.
The fact that laughter is healing has been embraced by many people, including the medical community. Laughter Yoga is a health craze that is becoming more and more popular. Laughter Yoga using special guided techniques that make it easy to laugh without relying on humor. You can find out more at http://www.laughteryoga.org.
But more than that, laughter binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy. Once you’re shared a good laugh with someone, you’re formed a bond with them that is hard to break.
Want to increase your overall health and well-being? Tell a joke, watch a funny movie or invite a friend to reminisce about your funniest teenage pranks. You’ll be glad you did!