Beginning Monday, November 26, 2018 to Wednesday, November 28, 2018, the Jean Shepherd Community Center, located at 3031 J. F. Mahoney Drive, will open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., to provide warmth and shelter from inclement weather.
- Jean Shepherd Community Center at (219) 554-0155 during Warming Center operations
- Department of Public Safety at (219) 852-2900 for non-emergency calls after hours
- Or, call 9-1-1 in an emergency
The City's purpose for offering the Warming Center is to provide temporary shelter in an effort to prevent injury to persons who may be exposed to the elements.
Please note, the City of Hammond Warming Center operates as a temporary warming center (not to be confused as an overnight shelter). The Jean Shepherd Warming Center is not equipped to provide overnight stays, serve meals, or provide shower facilities. Tables, chairs and restroom facilities are available at the Warming Center.
Warming Center Guidelines
Individuals using the Warming Center must comply with all rules and policies of the Community Center and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Please bring your own reading material and any other personal items you require. Amplified sound devices are prohibited.
- Please supply your own water and snacks.
- Please note that there are no medical services provided at the Jean Shepherd Community Center.
When the City of Hammond Warming Center opens, the Recreation Department staff will post information at the Community Center and on the City's website at www.gohammond.com. Every effort will be made to also announce Warming Center operations via a Community eBlast and on the City's Facebook and Twitter sites. For further information on the City's Warming Center, contact the Recreation Department at (219) 554-0155.