Economic Development Manager Function: Full-time exempt position that reports directly to the Executive Director with primary responsibility to develop, maintain and enhance all functions of the EDC. This position is primarily the first point of contact for all prospects communication and inquiries into the EDCMC’s office and will direct those inquiries and/or respond appropriately. This person will be responsible for outreach to existing corporate CEOs within targeted industry sectors, and other community partners through business retention visits, industry specific trade organization meetings, phone calls and face-to-face meetings. Other responsibilities are to assist the Executive Director in project management, small business, workforce development, entrepreneurial and community development as well as provide administrative support to the Executive Director including but not limited to event planning and other office functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Executive Director in the creation and execution of strategic initiatives to recruit new business to Michigan City
- Have a working knowledge of local and state incentive programs for prospective businesses as well as private and not-for-profit business resources.
- Assist the Executive Director with attraction projects and prospect response and delivery.
- Follow-up with prospect contacts to confirm receipt of proposals/verify if more information is required.
- Proactively organize site visits that close deals and create local jobs for the community.
- Assist the Executive Director with business marketing programs that include but are not limited to business surveys, direct mailing campaigns, and trade shows.
- Participate in public speaking to discuss business resources, as appropriate.
- Research and create database for business recruitment.
- Be willing to attend community and business events to establish and maintain business contacts and increase business intelligence knowledge.
Business and Retention:
- Assist the Executive Director in creating and implement BRE Plan/Strategy.
- Have a working knowledge of local and state incentive programs for existing businesses as well as private and not-for-profit business resources.
- Assist the Executive Director with existing business outreach programs that include but are not limited to existing business surveying, direct mailing campaigns, and roundtable forums.
- Partner with local Workforce board/educational institutions to promote programs available.
- Partner with EDCMC stakeholders to accomplish Strategic Initiatives goals.
- Design and participate in local retention initiatives and engage in follow-up contact by arranging appointments.
- Market programs/services to local, target industry business contacts to generate new economic base.
- Continually update Executive Director on performance metrics and maintain accurate and up-to-date accounts.
- Participate in public speaking to discuss business assistance resources, as appropriate.
- Manage and coordinate employee recruitment opportunities for our largest employers.
- Research and create database for business assistance.
- Be willing to attend community and business events to establish and maintain business contacts and increase business intelligence knowledge
Public Relations and Community Outreach:
- Design and distribute press releases to announce events or business related successes.
- Assist and support the Executive Director with investor relations and investor development programs.
- Develop and distribute community updates for public officials, investors, stakeholders, partners and the general public.
- Provide support and coordination for other conferences, special meetings, luncheons and other programs and seminars that may take place throughout the year.
Small Business and Entrepreneurship:
- Coordinate small business low interest loan programs.
- Assist the Executive Director in the creation and execution of strategic initiatives to further strengthen the resources available to small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Work with the Small Business Development Center and have a working knowledge of what resources are available to small businesses.
External Marketing and Other Duties:
- Maintain and update the website and other social media communications.
- Assists in the negotiation and the management of professional services contracts, property sales or acquisition, and economic development oriented activities, as assigned.
- Create and maintain contact databases of site selection consultants, commercial brokers and corporate management.
- Perform other related duties required to meet policy and program goals of the Corporation.
Bachelor’s Degree required; business, marketing, economics or political science preferred.
2-4 years economic development related experience required – Graduate Degree preferred.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook and Internet Tools (esp. Social Media).
Technical skill in performance of both general and complex economic studies.
Ability to perform basic research and analyze data using acceptable research practices, and to formulate alternatives and recommendations.
Ability to prepare written and graphic materials; to compose clear and concise reports; to prepare and make presentations; and to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with citizens, professional peers and elected officials.
Skill in research and manipulation of data.
Ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects and priorities.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, outgoing and energetic demeanor.
Strong interpersonal and organizational management skills.
Some overnight and weekend travel required.
Driving license and insured automobile required.
Residency preferred in Michigan City IN after selection
Social and Interpersonal Communication Skills: Position requires professional social and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to function in a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
Project Management: Tasks require the ability to schedule, coordinate, and manage various projects of varying degrees of difficulty, size and complexity.
Reasoning: Position requires functional reasoning skills enabling the analysis of major problems that necessitate complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units.
Position requires situational reasoning skills allowing for the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and innovation in situations involving broader aspects of the organization.
Technical Competency: The ability to utilize computers and related equipment in order to effectuate a productive office environment.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort including, but not limited to, lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, etc. of objects and materials of light weight (generally 25 pounds and less). Tasks may involve extended periods of time in seated position and at a keyboard or workstation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive no exclusive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified in this position.
This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the job change. A selected candidate who thrives in this position can be a driving force for this change.
Position will remain opened until filled; apply by Dec 7th, 2018 for full consideration. Please send cover letter and resume to Executive Director at email@example.com.