Wellness outreach professionals with the La Porte Hospital Mobile Health Unit will visit various neighborhoods to provide free blood pressure and blood sugar screenings and education about the importance of preventing flu now that flu season is upon us.
A whopping one in three American adults has prehypertension – blood pressure levels that are higher than normal and put them at risk for heart disease, stroke, or other conditions. Knowing your numbers is the best place to start with managing blood pressure, and a blood pressure screening only takes about two minutes.
Learning blood sugar levels can help individuals understand if they are possibly at risk for developing diabetes, or even if they may already have it. The five-minute test involves a simple finger stick, and education is available regarding what the results mean, and how to get help if they are abnormal. For those who know they have diabetes or are at risk for developing it, the La Porte Hospital Diabetes Program offers free support and networking groups, as well as comprehensive diabetes management classes and nutrition education. For information, call (219) 326-2478 or visit laportehealth.com.
Flu season is here! The best way to prevent the flu is with a flu vaccination, which can be obtained at your primary care provider’s office. Need a doctor? Visit laportehealth.com and click on Find a Doctor. Professionals on the Mobile Health Unit will also provide information about how to prevent the flu, including proper hand washing, how to cover coughs and sneezes, and other useful tips.
The Mobile Health Unit will be in the following locations:
- 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Dec. 5, La Porte Hospital, 1007 Lincolnway, La Porte
- 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Dec. 6, Good Will Industries, 3822 Franklin St., Michigan City
- 10-11:30 a.m., Dec. 8, Al’s Supermarket, 3535 Franklin St., Michigan City
- 10-11:30 a.m., Dec. 13, Kroger, 55 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte
- 10-11:30 a.m., Dec. 14, Kabelin’s, 512 Andrew Ave, La Porte
- 10-11:30 a.m., Dec. 15, Starke Hospital, 102 E. Culver Road, Knox
- 1-2:30 p.m., Dec. 16, Bailey’s Discount Center, 5900 S. Range Road, North Judson
- 9:30-11 a.m., Dec. 20, Good Will Industries, 1509 E. Lincolnway, La Porte
- 10-11:30 a.m., Dec. 27, Al’s Supermarket, 702 E. Lincolnway, La Porte