Today you could watch live streaming blogs from dozens of different news outlets. You could watch it on a variety of computers and devices. You are more and more likely, interestingly enough, to be watching or reading about Apple's latest and greatest, on an Apple device. Check out a few of the stats on Apple's devices and dominance.
- 17 million iPads sold in last quarter
- 91% of tablet traffic comes from iPad
- Year over year growth 15% for Mac vs 2% for PC
- Apple activates 106,000 tablets a day
- 83 million visitors came to Apple stores April-June 2012, visiting 380 stores around the world and they expanded to a 13th country (Sweden)
- 7 million Mountain Lion downloads - fastest selling operating system of all time
- Apple App store recently crossed 700,000 apps. (I think the ValpoLife app put them over the mark)
New iPhone highlights
- 18% thinner, 20% lighter, though taller and can display more on the screen than 4S, meaning five rows of apps for versus four
- 44% more color saturation than 4S display
- LTE ultra-fast wireless networks available on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in the US
- 802.11N 5GHz wireless support
- A6 processor which is twice as fast
- Battery Life improved to 8 hours on LTE, and 10 hours on WiFi
- 8 megapixel camera with dynamic low light mode, better filters and noise reduction.
- Pictures will be much better and 40% faster
- Built in panoramic stitching
- Facetime over cellular networks will now be available
- Video has improved with image stabilization and can now detect up to 10 faces.
- Lightning connector will now be their universal device connector
- iOS6 will feature many new innovations and will launch September 19th
- Google Maps goes goodbye and will be replaced with Maps app that has 100 million points of interests built in, and TomTom voice giving you turn-by-turn directions
- Siri can now open apps, book restaurant tables for you via OpenTable, and post to Facebook for you
- Pricing will be $199 for 16GB and up to $399 for 64GB. The 4S will drop to $99.
- Pre-orders begin on Friday, shipping one week later September 21